The Bossa Nova

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sad story... well the second part



So many of you have heard about the earthquake whose epicenter was 95 miles south of us. I took my intern in June there so see some of the pretty parts of Peru so she wouldn't be jaded by Lima. We did the trip very quickly well, we slept for about 2 hours won night woke up really early to take a bus to Pisco, watch an hour of Spanglish in the bus terminal and then take a taxi to Pisco ( where the earthquake hit, not where Pisco sour's are from) and then another taxi to Paracas, the poor man's Galapagos, they call it! We made it in time to leave at 9 on the boats to the Islas Bellestas! The boat ride was so nice- such peace and the motion ( and my lack of sleep) allowed me to fall asleep on the way to the islands- even though ti was beautiful there- sun and all! We got to see lots of wildlife and learn about guano, burn droppings, that they export apparently! In the afternoon we went to the Reserve- a desert reserve! We didn't see the flamingos nfortunately but the best part of that was The Cathedral, a beautiful rock formation on the coast of the reserve. We stopped to take pictures and a little video- it was SOOOO windy- that's what Paracas means! So we finished with a not so great lunch but came back happy!

So the sad part of the story is that I heard that the cathedral in all it's glory partly fell into the see. I'd say pray for the people that depend on things like tourism and how they'll be affected. I hear the Nazca Lines are open again. ( My roommates kept up b/c she was supposed to be there the day after the earthquake right there!) What we read the night it happened at prayer meeting as repurcussions came, and where I found comfort this summer as I've had a bit of a hard heart... Psalm 62:5,6 Find rest O my soul in God alone; my hope comes from him, He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hazel said...

What amazing photographs Susan! It sounds like an interesting adventure on the way there.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home